The adoption financial assistance benefit will provide $5,000 (before taxes) per adopted child for full-time associates and $1,500 (before taxes) per adopted child for part-time associates, to help with expenses associated with adopting a child.
Expenses are eligible if they are reasonable and necessary, and are directly related to the adoption of a child. Examples of eligible expenses include:
- Licensed adoption agency fees (including fees for placement and parental counseling)
- Legal costs, such as attorney fees and court costs
- Charges for temporary foster care before placement
- Travel expenses to gain physical custody of the adopted child
In order to qualify for this benefit, the associate must meet the following criteria:
- Actively employed by The Home Depot on a full-time or part-time basis for at least one year at the time the adoption is finalized
- Remain an active employee with The Home Depot for one year after the benefit is paid out
- The child being adopted must be under 18 years of age
- The adopted child cannot be the child of the associate, their spouse or domestic partner
- If both parents are Home Depot associates, only one may apply for the reimbursement
- Request for reimbursement must be made within 90 days after the adoption is finalized
Click here for the Adoption Reimbursement Application.